PONDUS: Thermo-Chemical Hydrolysis Process (TCHP)
PONDUS keeps the hydrolysis process simple, affordable and safe for all sized plants.
What is Thermo-Chemical Hydrolysis Process (TCHP)?
PONDUS is a continuous hydrolysis process combining caustic soda and heated water, 140 °F to 160 °F, to break down the cell membranes of the thickened waste-activated sludge (WAS). The process releases organic acids which are consumed quicker in the anaerobic digestion process and increase biogas production. The thermal energy, required for the hydrolysis process, transfers and heats the digesters. As an energy-efficient system, PONDUS does not require heat exchangers to cool the sludge prior to digestion. The process drastically reduces the overall carbon footprint by decreasing solid waste disposal. PONDUS enables useful re-purposing of biosolids as a fertilizer, soil amendment or carbon source. The process also increases biogas production as renewable energy.
PONDUS results in lower dewatering costs, lower disposal costs and lower sludge viscosity. The process creates more efficient pumping and the digester mixing requires less energy.
The PONDUS Difference
- No heat exchangers need to cool sludge after hydrolysis to maintain an optimum digester temperature
- No steam required, operated at atmospheric pressure
- Safer operation
- Specialized steam operator is not necessary
- Reduces operating and energy costs
- Combination of caustic soda (NaOH) and heated water, 140 °F to 160 °F, break down the cell walls
- Minimal equipment needed: high-efficiency heat exchanger, progressive cavity pumps and a reactor with no moving parts
- No pressure vessel tanks required
PONDUS Optimizes Your Sludge Treatment Process
|Reduce Viscosity of Thickened WAS up to 80%|
|Reduce Anaerobic Digestion Volume up to 50%|
|Improve Biosolids Dewatering up to 5%|
|Increase Biogas Production up to 30%|
|Reduce Polymer Consumption at Dewatering up to 20%|
|Reduce Digester Foaming|
|Reduce Plant Odors|